Monday, September 21, 2015

Tauplitz and Schultage

I had my first day of school on Monday, the 16th. I'm attending BHAK/BHAS Volkermarkt, which is a business school. Everyone was surprised to hear that there weren't any specialized school options for me where I live in America, and explaining that was a lot more work that I was expecting. My class has business and office management, junior company, and other business classes.

Monday, I was there for literally one hour. We just were present for roll call and introductions. The rest of the week was also short, and we were able to leave by 11:35. 
Since we're only in the first few weeks of school, it's been going slow and I haven't really felt like we've been doing a lot of work. Not that I'd know, because it's all in German. 


School in another language is really strange. I often realize I already know a good portion of the information once I get it translated. It's frustrating, because I feel like I could be schooling 'em all, but translating the information I'm given and then what I want to say takes too long. Especially in my Italian class. Why NOT throw the American into learning one more language? What could go wrong? 
That's why I'm here though, and it's cool to experience all of these languages this way. My thoughts are including German words more and more every day. (Less Spanish - I literally forgot the word for "good bye" this morning. I don't know how well Spanish III will be treating me senior year.) 

Monday night I went out to dinner at Don Carlo's with Marie (my teacher's daughter) and some of her friends. Our waiter also could not speak very good German, as he was from Italy and in Austria for the summer. We bonded over our lack of language skills and I had a lot of fun with my new friends. I then went off on my own down the street to attend a James Cottrial concert. Austrians will know who he is, seeing as one of his singles is featured in the "Only 10 Songs Any Given Radio Station Will Play" category. Also, some American guy from American Pie was there to open the concert. 
(Quick Story Time:
After the concert I was standing outside waiting for my host dad and was Snapchatting. I swiveled myself around into better lighting at one point to take a selfie, and my camera was conveniently pointed at an older man standing a little ways away. He then starts interrogating me in German about whether or not I took a picture of him, so I had to pull my whole "Ich komme aus den USA und ich spreche nicht gut Deutsch" speech, which (like always) results in a conversation. This one consisted of him asking if I could play chess, whether or not I was married, which Indian tribes are in Montana, if I had any Native American in me, and then if we could "see each other again". (That is the only story I have to tell so far about my foreign escapades, sorry.) )

Wednesday, I went out to dinner again to Don Carlo's, this time for Anna's birthday. That night, I had the pleasure of giving my host club a presentation all about me. In German, So now I am an expert in my favorite subject in two languages!!! It was nice to get to know the Rotary members who all were very welcoming. I was able to talk to the director of the dance school in Volkermarkt, and I will be stopping by the studio soon to visit which I am very excited for.

On Friday, I left school at 10:00 to buy myself some public transportation tickets to Tauplitz to see my RYE fam for the weekend. I got into Klagenfurt without any problems, and once there, I met up with the other Carinthian kids to ride the train to Bad Mittendorf. At one of our stops in Leoben we stumbled across Fred and we all squeezed into the full train and had trouble finding seats. Seeing everyone when the trains arrived was one of my favorite parts of the weekend. Everyone was so happy to see one another again.
"IT'S ________ FRED!!!!"

Our bus then ascended up the mountain, which was misty and very beautiful. We pulled up to our lodge and were forced to wait outside for what seemed like forever until we were ushered inside and assigned rooms. Very small and very full rooms. We then decided to roam the forest and made Connor take artsy photos of us (which are unfortunately not yet available). We then had dinner, and Squad embarked on a misty night walk with firecrackers and no sense of time or direction, Freddy got a face full of nettles, and we all got a face full of sparks. 


In the morning, we set off for our hikes. You could choose going to the lake or summiting the mountain. I did both, along with some other friends. The hike up the mountain was beautiful. We couldn't go all the way to the top due to the fog, but that gave us extra time to go to the lake and throw ourselves into the frigid water to swim for ten minutes. After that we chose to hike up to a cave, and then a little bit further.



I love meeting new dogs




horrible ideas often make good memories

That night, we were given some torches and sent on our way by foot in the rain to "a disco", which we made fun aside from being soaked and in horrible moods.



Sunday morning we had a quick orientation and hung around until about 1:00 when we returned by train. I have learned that they are a quality sleeping place and it is especially fun when you can get a cabin with your pals. 
Tomorrow I'm headed to Klagenfurt for the afternoon with the school, and on Friday, I'll be going to Burgenland for the weekend to help my host dad's family with some wine harvesting. 
The next Rotary meetings will be about three weeks for a Vienna weekend, and then the next weekend, we're going on our Prag/Dresden/Berlin tour. I can't wait to see everything. :)

Tschüss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment