Saturday, August 15, 2015

Accents and Ascendings

On Thursday, we made another visit to Turnersee, where we swam and relaxed some more. It's been very hot so far, but hopefully will cool down this weekend. I got to meet a few of my host sister's friends Anna and Chrissi, and we ate some really good penne and told some jokes - mostly untranslatable German ones, of course. :) We also talked a lot about culture differences and things for me to expect in Austria, and what Anna can expect when she goes on exchange to Canada on the 26th. We did a lot of pin trading as well! Saturday Anna and my host dad and I took a drive to Eisenkapple Vellach, the southernmost town in Austria. We hiked Hochobir, which was incredible. It literally took my breath away. (I've probably made that joke too many times.) I was able to learn more about greetings in various formalities used in Austria. Fun fact: above 1000m, there is no formal language. As Peter said "it simply ceases to exist".  We then had lunch afterwards from the Eisenkapple Hütte, and it was delicious. That night we went to a barbecue at  Anna's with her dad. It was really great, and we played rotating ping-pong and told some more German jokes, two of which were translatable and I could understand. I'm very excited for language camp and to learn more German. And of course, 'Carinthian' when I come back to Kärnten.

Turnersee


Hochobir

our food from the Eisenkapple Hutte: speck, salami, and assorted käse
with Anna and Eva at dinner last night




No comments:

Post a Comment